Menstrual Blood as Sacred
Menstrual blood has become sacred in my current life experience.
What does the word “sacred" mean to you?
This leads me to another question:
Is there anything to consider not sacred?
My answer is no.
So, what is preventing us from tuning into “sacred" in any given moment? Simple! Our intentions.
Let me tell you something… Turning menstrual bleeding into a sacred practice is not about doing any particular ritual, voodoo or ceremony.
To make sacred is to offer loving attention, while creating a space of prayer, devotion and presence, in whatever we do, wherever we are.
Everything in life can be sacred if we are willing to open and honor that space into our lives:
- Making love
- Listening to a friend
- And of course... Menstruation!
We've inherited an intuitive sacredness from our ancestors. It’s always accessible to us if we allow it to come in while listening to the unspoken language of silence.
I am here today to recommend reconsidering menstrual blood as a sacred, beautiful and alchemical journey, as the most precious secrets kept in the darkness for centuries can be brought back to the light, to love, to truth.
Why does sacred menstruation matter?
- It's a powerful practice of moving through time, living our lives and holding onto our natural cycles in the most grand, fulfilling and valuable way.
- We can transform ourselves from the “I merely exist" zone to the “I am alive and an amazing artist” zone.
We should always infuse our days with good habits so that we can turn seemingly mundane situations into a deep ceremony.
How to turn menstruation into ceremony
Number 1 prerequisite: Fall in love.
Yes! Fall in love with menstrual blood in order to embrace and love the whole process as it is.
This includes every aspect of our cycles:
- Emotional fluctuations
- The tears
- The apparent confusion
- Letting go
- The death and rebirth, and all of the moments in between!
Menstrual Blood Art as a Sacred Practice
There is an unapologetic practice that can help us fall deeper in love with menstrual blood and our womb space.
You can rely on yours truly, because I was somebody who could not rise from bed, puked and cried all day from the terrible period pains, for as long as I can remember… until I figured out that bleeding doesn’t have to be like this.
I want to share with you my personal favorite, and the one-and-only, expression that made me take the first step in the path of reclaiming my ancient woman wisdom:
Painting with moon blood.
Stay with me here.
Painting with my menstrual blood has carried a deep and profound impact in the health of my body-mind-soul, and has been extremely therapeutic and healing on many levels. It allows me to tune into the depth of intense sacredness. I am forever grateful to experience being a woman in this lifetime.
Empowering Reasons to Paint with Menstrual Blood
- Reconnects us with our feminine essence
- Makes us get in tune with our womb space (our culture has become disconnected with the womb and vagina). This is crucial for regaining personal, physical and emotional power
- Awakens our ancient intuition and gifts of our subconscious (we all have access to it through the womb space), resulting in badass and frequent insights
- Activates a deep process of healing on a personal and global level (when we do it for ourselves, we do it for all – we are all intertwined by a greater Womb that holds us all)
- Can offer a clear resume of how the past month has been (I usually draw from intuition and in the end always discover that the painting represents exactly what I’ve been going through the past month – pretty awesome if you ask me)
- We are shedding centuries of taboos and numbness and transforming it into something beautiful and SEEN… that’s what I call a MIRACLE in motion
- So much more of your own personal experience will unveil
I knew this was a powerful practice when I had witnessed reactions among my feminine friends. They either said, “eeeww!” or, “that’s the most amazing effing thing I’ve ever seen!”
Nothing in between.
It’s impossible to be indifferent about this, as sexual energy begins here. The women I’ve encouraged to paint with their menstrual blood have had profound magical and healing experiences.
So my recommendation is, try it for yourself.
How to Draw with Menstrual Blood?
- Collect your menstrual blood with a menstrual cup, store it in a small glass container (best to always use the same container to preserve the sacred energy - so choose and treat it wisely) and keep in the fridge or on an altar when not using it.
- Use your favourite paper (I personally enjoy using rice paper or canvas), and allow your intuition and creativity to flow with all that you feel to express in each moment. Release all expectations of the final outcome and just play to tune into your intuition.
When the painting, or your act, is complete, you can offer the remaining blood to the Earth or to your favorite plant.
Blood is full of nutrients, so this practice is a powerful, cosmic and motherly form of art to preserve and nurture the earth, as we women are the archetypical keepers and representatives of it. You will be surprised at the plants' reaction... Our blood is a divine force or energy and nutrition, so expect extra boosts in the growth of your sacred plants.
Magic has a way to move, and it does not come from reason or logic.
If we come from a space of trust and love, the gifts we will receive (even if we may feel nothing, or only repulsion in the beginning) will come back ten fold. Mark my words.
Creation with menstrual blood is a deep process that needs witnessing and presence on our behalf, nothing more.
Let the blood magik tell you the rest.
With all my love,